Meet Emily McDowell
Emily McDowell is a writer, illustrator, speaker, teacher, and entrepreneur who is fiercely committed to not doing all of those things at the same time. After spending a decade working in advertising, she founded Emily McDowell Studio in January 2013. In January of 2019, Emily McDowell Studio officially changed names to Emily McDowell & Friends to reflect their expansion into partnerships with other artists and writers.
Emily’s work has been featured by The New York Times, Good Morning America, NBC Nightly News, BBC News, and NPR's All Things Considered, among many others, and in 2015, she was named one of Slate's 10 Designers Who Are Changing the World. Her first book, There Is No Good Card For This: What To Say and Do When Life Gets Scary, Awful, and Unfair To People You Love, co-authored with Dr. Kelsey Crowe, was released in January 2017.
Emily currently serves as equity partner and SVP of strategy at the Who’s There Group, while remaining creative director/founder of Emily McDowell & Friends. She lives in Los Angeles with her family and various half-dead plants.
PODCASTS & INTERVIEWS
To inquire about booking Emily as a speaker or a guest on a podcast, please email email@example.com.
- The Uncurated Life Podcast, "#53: Being Who You Are Meant To Be With Emily McDowell"
- YOU WANNA DO WHAT?!, "E87: Emily McDowell - How a Greeting Card Changed Her Life"
- The Intentionists Podcast, "50: Hustle Versus Wholeness— Translating Empathy with Emily McDowell"
- Three Books with Neil Pasricha, "Chapter 17: Emily McDowell on family fallouts, finding phrases, and forging false fairytales"
- Everything Happens with Kate Bowler, "Emily McDowell: There's No Good Card for That"
- Forever 35, "Ep 47: Gratefully Yours with Emily McDowell"
- Stay Wild with Norma Jean, "Stay Wild Ep. #35: Emily McDowell"
- Don't Keep Your Day Job, "How Empathy Launched A Viral Movement - Emily McDowell"